You may sometime find that in your absence your employees are accessing some social networking sites, which is hampering your productivity or your students in your school accessing some sites which is not good for them. If you want to block useless or harmful websites, you can download any software that can help you to block these sites. But if you find it expensive, you can simply block these sites by editing the Hosts file. Here are some easy steps that will help you to block websites.
Block social networking Websites on Your Computer
- Click on Start >> Click All Programs >> Select Accessories >> Select Notepad
- Click on File >> Select Open and browse through the following location to open the hosts file
- When the hosts file will be opened, look for the following line
- Then, under this line add the names of websites that you want to block. For example if you want to block facebook on your computer then add the site name as follow:
- Add all the site names you want to block and save the hosts file
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\ (for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista and Windows 7)
%WinDir%\ (for Windows 95/98/Me)
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts ( for vista & windows xp)
When the next time anyone will try to open the sites that you have blocked, a message box will appear as below
Hopefully the tutorial will help you a lot.